Boards of management are responsible for the direct governance of schools.
The duties of the board of management include the following:
- the appointment of teachers and ancillary staff;
- approving school closures;
- approving teacher absences for a variety of reasons;
- the appointment of teachers to deputy-principalship and other posts of responsibility;
- ensuring compliance with relevant legislation; and
- ensuring that schools are adequately insured and maintained.
Specific duties of the chairperson of the board of management include:
- acting as a correspondent with the Department of Education and Science and all outside bodies;
- presiding at board of management meetings;
- signing the monthly returns and annual statistical returns; and
- serving on the selection board for the appointment of teachers.