There have been a number of moments recently which have highlighted the talents of the pupils
- The Christmas Concert was a great success and proceeds from the raffle and the calendar were used to purchase PE equipment. Our pupils had as much fun on the night as they had preparing for the concert. We thank our teachers, pupils and Cairdeas for putting a great show together.
- All the pupils joined in the World Book Day fun. It is great to see the broad interests in reading and imagination when it comes to dressing up.
- At our gymnastics displays our pupils showed off their new skills and how their skills have improved thanks to the work and efforts of Colm O’ Toole , our gymnastics instructor.
- The Senior pupils performed well in Cor Fhéile. Our school was very proud of the talent of our well-behaved kids at this public event. Feedback was positive and an enjoyable evening was had by participants, parents and siblings.
- We were delighted to compete in the final of the Vex Robotics Competition. This was a great achievement for us in our first year participating in the Vex Robotics Program. The robotics program offered lots of different aspects for our pupils to explore; they were exposed to design, engineering, requirement gathering, programming, testing, art work, promoting their school, presentation, structured documentation, etc. We learned a lot from the competitions and came away with great ideas by observing other teams. Our video and your Facebook voting secured us a €500 grant from the Version 1 Community trust fund for our robotics program. Many thanks to all who cast their votes and got their friends and family to do the same.
- We had a busy schedule with indoor camogie and hurling competitions. Even with the small numbers in our school we were a competitive force. Our 4th class girls pushed through injuries and managed to come 3rd in the Sciath na Scol Indoor Competition! They showed great sportsmanship and teamwork and brought home the winning plaque from the Carrigdhoun Indoor Camogie competition.
- The school was also showcased in an article on the Echo where our commitment to science and engineering was highlighted. Our school’s focus on arts and crafts, health and wellness of its pupils, sports and music were also noted.
Items on the agenda were:
Child Protection and Children First
- We are looking into the requirement whereby parents who support children getting to/from matches and those who help out at sport and extra-curricular activities need Garda clearance for child protection purposes.
- We are also looking into the possibility of making buses/taxi services available to transport children to/from matches.
- Parents from 1st class and 3rd class will assist with the communion celebrations in the school.
- Baking and volunteers for the Friday night and Saturday morning are needed.
- A text will be sent to request that cards and money are not exchanged by the Communion class pupils.
- There is a communion WhatsApp group. Please let Cairdeas know if you are not part of this group (1st and 3rd class parents).
Confirmation: A text will be sent to request that cards and money are not exchanged by the Confirmation class pupils.
Cairdeas Insurance: We are currently receiving quotations for insurance where events hosted outside of school are not covered by the school’s insurance.
Cork City Marathon: There is one team currently running in the marathon that are raising funds for the school. We call on additional runners/walkers to get in touch as entries will close soon. This is a fun event and a great way to show community spirit and support for the school.
Knockavilla Family Fun Day: A table quiz and Kids’ Disco will be held in Upton on Sunday, April 29th. All proceeds will go to the school. This is great family event and we hope to see all the pupils, parents, extended family and friends at this event. Spread the word!
Booklists/ copies/hardback copies: Staff will be asked to be mindful of how many books and copies they require as it was brought to our attention that some items on recent book lists were never used.
Uniform/crests: Enquiries will be made on the possibility of purchasing the school crest separately for sewing onto jumpers.
Questionnaires: We had very positive feedback from the questionnaires. The school’s focus has always been on the well-being of our kids and we will keep this as a high priority going forward.
Keep your eye on our Facebook page for news from the school. You don’t need to have a Facebook account to view our school’s page. Just click on this LINK
You can also see highlights from Facebook on our website by clicking HERE
Our school’s WEBSITE is regularly updated with upcoming events.
As always you can contact us per phone or through our website by completing this FORM
Cairdeas are also eager to hear your views and feedback. You can contact them directly through our website at this LINK